in the House of RepresentativesWEDNESDAY, JUNE 22, 1994
- Mr. McCOLLUM. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to bring to the attention of the House a very important matter. The role of Pakistan in aiding and abetting terrorism in Kashmir is well documented, so much so that the administration almost placed the Pakistani regime on the 1993 list of state sponsors of terrorism. However, the administration did not take such action because it was assured by Pakistan that Islamabad was taking credible steps to dissociate itself from the militants in Kashir.
- Recent reports however, suggest that Pakistan never stopped its aid to the terrorists in Kashir. A report in the Washington Post dated, May 16, 1994, titled, `Pakistan Aiding Rebels in Kashmir: Muslims Reportedly Armed and Trained,’ by John Word Anderson, datelined Muzzaffarabad, gives a first-hand account of such assistance by Pakistan to terrorists in Kashmir.
- The State Department has also confirmed this fact in its annual report titled, `Patterns of Global Terrorism’ I quote, `* * * there were credible reports in 1993 of official Pakistani support to Kashmiri militants * * *.’
- This fact is further confirmed from a study conducted by The Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare titled, `The Kashmir Connection,’ which I would like to place in the Record, immediately following these remarks which details the extent of Pakistani involvement in aiding the terrorists in Kashmir.
- This House should take cognizance of this serious issue particularly as some of those who have indicted in the bombing of the World Trade Center had also received training in Pakistan.
(BY YOSSEF BODANSKY AND VAUGHN S. FORREST)
Yossef Bodansky is director of research for the International Strategic Studies Association, where he is also a senior editor for their Defense and Foreign Affairs publications. He is director of the Congressional Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare for the U.S. House of Representatives. In addition, Bodansky has served as a consultant on terrorism for the U.S. government and other organizations.